MHA 601 Week 2 Discussion 1 Cost and Quality
Cost and Quality.
Total Health Expenditure per Capital
Total Health Expenditure as a % of GDP
Life Expectancy at Birth (M / F)
79 / 86
76 / 81
Child Mortality per 1,000 (both)
Adult Mortality per 1,000 (M / F)
84 / 46
96 / 51
131 / 77
Data source: World Health Organization Statistics
As you can see in the chart above, the United States had the highest health care expenditure in the world; however, the health status of the entire population has lagged behind numerous developed countries. The Affordable Care Act is aimed at promoting quality of care along with cost reduction, but health care organizations wrestle with meeting all of the challenges.
Present a quality improvement and cost-saving project to your classmates that you read about in a scholarly source and address the following questions:
• What was the health care setting (hospital, clinic, nursing home, etc.)?
• What were the problems/issues leading to the change project?
• Who were the stakeholders involved in the project?
• What was the timeframe involved in the project?
• What were the financial resources allocated to the project?
• What were the results on quality improvement?
• What was the evidence on cost saving?
• Leatt and colleagues (1997) recommended nine approaches for successful cost cutting. Which approaches are demonstrated in your case?
Use the Ashford University Library Tutorial for help with locating a scholarly source for this discussion. Your initial post must be at least 300 words. Support your response with a minimum of two scholarly sources.